Monday, August 3, 2009

Project Wayward

So I was going for a play on "Project Runway" in the title and this is the best I came up with. But it resonates, because while handbag design and construction is my...ahem..."bag" if you will, clothing design and production most certainly is not - not yet, at least (wink). So in the interim I'm resigned to taking existing garments in my closet and retooling them to my specifications. And when I say "retooling to my specifications", I mean finding some way, shape or form to incorporate my most favorite - favorite - material in the world: taffeta. I plan to devote an entire post to the subject of taffeta in the near future, complete with pictures of classic 80's prom dresses, and I may even throw in a pic of the bridesmaid dress I was forced to wear to a family wedding back in '94 - complete with a bouffant-style hairdo that would've been the envy of any woman 60 years my senior (I was 17 at the time). Hot stuff!

So here are the results of Garment Retooling Experiment #1: the cargo skirt. Foolishly I didn't think to take a "before" shot, so I had to find an image of a similar skirt and draw in the pockets for demonstration purposes. Before commencing with the embellishments, I took a long look at this drab, boring, olive green number and knew without a doubt that the only saving grace it had would involve something very red and very shiny.

Enough jibber-jabber. Here are the results! And I know these pictures are heinous...the cave-like "charm" of my studio is not the friendliest of photo-taking environments. I promise better pics next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment