Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I Heart Kruges

I don't crush on celebrities that often, and when I do it tends to be a crush not so much of the romantic sort, but rather a temporary state of admiration for some random, unconventional thing they said, did or wore. In the case of my latest crush, it is a combination of all 3 of these elements. The crush in question is none other than the lovely-beyond-words actress Diane Kruger (aka "Kruges," as I like to call her; I nickname my crushes as though we were tight). Perusing the latest edition of Lucky magazine, of which she graces the cover, I flipped to the section of her mini-interview (her minerview, if you will) and read this fine pull quote:

"A fancy dress with pockets might be my favorite thing. It's comforting to have a place to put your hands."

Pockets. I may need to change the title of this post to "I Heart Pockets," because I really do. And Kruges understands this. You see, I am in agony when I'm out in public, standing still, in an outfit without pockets. What on earth to do with my hands? I have mile-long monkey arms and I never know quite how to place them, and this amplified self-awareness only makes me more self-conscious and fidgety about it. What are my options?


Crossed arms comes across as
aloof and defensive.




Hands on hips is a bit too
much sassy attitude for me.



Hands clasped in front makes me feel
like I'm slouching and introverted.



Hands clasped behind my
back - what am I hiding?


Pockets are just perfect - giving off a casual, relaxed vibe, a place to hook my thumbs Fonzie-style and a place to stuff the fistful (or two) of mints I grab as I'm walking out the door of a restaurant.

So thank you Kruges, for so beautifully articulating something from which I felt I was alone in suffering. It is comforting to have a place to put your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment